Region S2 Report - Spring 2010

Best Wishes as You Continue Your Professional Growth Through NCSM
Suzanne Mitchell, Southern 2 Regional Director
Spring 2010

I have thoroughly enjoyed the office of Regional Director for the Southern 2 Region during the past three years on the NCSM Board of Directors. As I near the end of my Board term, I reflect on the activities of NCSM and the importance of our conferences, leadership academies, position papers, website, and journal. During the summer and fall 2009, I visited all seven state mathematics conferences meeting new and experienced NCSM members, talking about leadership and promoting the PRIME Leadership Framework. I think about the fact that a PRIME leader seeks to discover and fulfill leadership potential by seeking continuous growth, by applying new knowledge of best practices through research, and by guiding teachers to new ideas and risk-taking.

I want to encourage you to continue your own professional growth and to encourage those teachers with whom you work to participate in local, state, and national professional development. Several reasons why this is important are:

• Teachers and leaders can attend sessions given by experts in content and pedagogy;
  • Teachers and leaders can network with other professionals with similar job expectations;
  • Participants can share what they have learned with colleagues at the conference and share new learnings back at their home school in order to effect significant changes in their institutions;
  • Participants can get hands-on experience with new teaching methods, technology, and leadership styles;
  • Teachers and leaders can become energized with new ways to look at curriculum, teaching and learning, and assessment; and
  • Participants can learn about new products and resources that are available to enhance their teaching profession.

If you have not already done so, be sure to read NCSM's PRIME Leadership Framework. It is a document that can guide you as you grow in your leadership role. The PRIME Leadership Framework describes three stages of leadership development for mathematics leaders. Depending on the circumstances, a mathematics leader may be at various stages in the leadership cycle of action and learning.

• Stage 1-Leadership of Self: The leader is respected for teaching and learning skills. This is the "know and model" stage of leadership growth and development.
  • Stage 2-Leadership of Others: The leader is respected for interpersonal skills and commitment for leading change among teams of teachers and colleagues. This is the "collaborate and implement" stage of leadership development.
  • Stage 3-Leadership in the Extended Community: The leader is respected for influence and engagement with an expanded community of educational stakeholders. This is the "advocate and systematize" stage of leadership development.

I would like to thank each of the state team leaders from the seven Southern 2 states who have contributed to promoting leadership in mathematics education through NCSM endeavors this year. I hope to see all of you at the NCSM Annual Conference in San Diego April 19-21, 2010, and at one of the three NCSM Leadership Academies this summer. The one for the Southern region is in Houston, Texas June 22-25 but if those dates will not work for your summer schedule, please attend the academy in Aurora, Illinois June 15-18 or in New York City August 16-19.

I would like to welcome Ted Hull, , who will be your next Regional Director for Southern 2 Region as of April 21, 2010. He comes to the position with a wealth of experience and an eagerness to share his knowledge as a mathematics leader. Please contact him about participating in your next state mathematics meeting. He is available to help the mathematics leaders in your state move from the reality of "what is" to a vision of "what ought to be."

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)