Region S2 Report - Summer 2010

News from Southern 2 Region
Ted H. Hull, Southern 2 Regional Director
Summer 2010

Backing for CCSS

The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) have been released. In support of this body of work, NCSM, NCTM, ASSM, and AMTE published a joint position statement. This statement may be used by mathematics leaders as both a guide and explanation for the work to be done. Leaders are encouraged to provide copies of the statement to teachers and key parties involved in educating students. Please download a copy of the CCSS Position Statement.

Up Coming Opportunities

The Oklahoma Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM) meeting was held in Oklahoma City on June 7. There was a very nice representation of teachers, and I greatly enjoyed my opportunity to speak. Thanks go to Linda Bailey and Linda Hall, NCSM Oklahoma State Representatives, and Eileen Lillard, program chair for the OCTM conference.

Two events are rapidly approaching. The Leadership Academy, Stomping on the Gap, will be held in Houston, Texas on June 22 to 25. If you have not yet registered for this event, hurry! This is a terrific opportunity for leaders in the area. Noemi Lopez has worked very hard to coordinate this training.

The Conference for the Advancement of Mathematics Teaching (CAMT) will be held in San Antonio, Texas from July 15 to 17. In conjunction with the CAMT meeting, the Texas Association of Supervisors of Mathematics (TASM) will hold a meeting on Wednesday evening, July 14.

Additional events are listed on our regional calendar and the NCSM calendar. Be sure to move these to your personal calendar.

Welcome and Thanks

I want to thank NCSM members for the opportunity to serve as Regional Director of Southern 2. I appreciate the opportunity to work with this wonderful organization in helping mathematics leaders advance student learning. Suzanne Mitchell has done an outstanding job over the last three years. Congratulations go to her for a job well done as well as for being elected as President-Elect.

If you have questions, concerns, ideas, or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)