Region E1 Report - Fall 2010

NCSM, CCSS, and Fall Conference News
Mari Muri, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Fall 2010

Where did this summer go? I imagine you were as busy as I was!

As your new Eastern 1 Regional Director, I was privileged to attend the NCSM summer Strategic Planning Meeting and get a much better understanding of what my tasks related to this position are. I AM YOUR CONDUIT for information sharing among our Eastern 1 Region states and NCSM at large! As such I have a small "state leaders' team" with representation from each state except VT. Since this team transitioned from our former E1 Regional Director, Laurie Boswell, at some point they will be ready to pass on their baton. Currently our "team" consists of:

• Corby Kennison (CT)
  • Jenny Tsankova (MA)
  • Leanna Russell (MA)
  • Shawn Towle (ME)
  • Judy Curran Buck (NH)
  • Suzanne (Suzi) Libfeld (NY)
  • Nancy Zarach (NY)
  • Eric Simonian (RI)

If you know any of these folks, they stand more than ready to help you with questions about NCSM. If you would like to get in touch with any of them, refer to the their email addresses, which can be found in the right most column of my webpage.

Although this group will keep me informed of math- and leadership-related events that are scheduled for each of our states, please feel free to send me directly any information you have about math organizations in which you participate. The more we can get the word out, the more folks will attend! My e-mail is

The "big buzz" now is about Common Core State Standards! As far as I know, all NE states, except Maine, have currently adopted these math standards. The website where you can find complete information is: www.corestandards.org. You may also be interested that NCSM has joined forces with NCTM, ASSM, and AMTE to create implementation support as states look at actual implementation. Only states that have adopted the CCSS were eligible to secure funding through the Federal Government "Race to the Top" competitive funding. As of my writing, MA, NY, and RI are the states in our Eastern 1 Region that have been awarded funding.

There are at least three major NE regional conferences planned for this fall:

CT 2010 Conference for "Math + SRBI = Student Learning" scheduled for Tue, September 28, 2010 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Cromwell CT. It is co-sponsored by ATOMIC, CCLM, and other math organizations. Registration questions should be directed to Yolanta Garcia, Project Assistant, at or 860 632 1485, ext. 264.

ATMNE Annual conference is planned for November 8 and 9, 2010 at the Radisson Hotel in Nashua NH. You can get more information at: http://sites.google.com/site/atmne2010.

AMTNYS 60th Annual Conference of the Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State is planned for November 11-13, 2010 at the Saratoga Hilton Hotel and Conference Center, Saratoga Springs NY. For more information about the conference, contact the Conference Coordinator, Michael Siuta at

I wish you a very fruitful, challenging, and yet fun-filled year of teaching! This year's first graders will graduate in 2022! Let's make sure we prepare them for all that is yet to come.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)