Region W2 Report - Spring 2017

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Spring 2017

I am hoping to see many of you at the NCSM Annual Conference April 3-5 at the San Antonio Grand Hyatt. Be sure to attend our Regional Caucus on Tuesday April 4 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in Lone Star DF. This is a great time to reconnect with colleagues and also meet new leaders in our area.

I have really enjoyed serving on the NCSM Board of Directors but my term ends at the end of the annual conference. Please join me in extending a warm welcome to our new Regional Director, Kathlan Latimer. Her new NCSM email is .

Also, I want to thank a special group of State Team Leaders (STLs) who have served with me over the past three years. They have been fantastic in supporting me and assisting with NCSM activities over the past 3 years. Those currently serving as STLs are in bold.

• Hawaii - Melfried Olson, Seanyelle Yagi
  • Washington - Sandy Christie, Tami Matsumoto
  • Oregon - Mark Freed, Patty Sandoz
  • California - Diane Kinch, Lisa Usher-Staats, Hope Bjerke, Diana Ceja, Annette Kitagawa, Christine Roberts

In other news from our region:

The Hawaii Council of Teachers of Mathematics held their annual spring conference "Building Bridges to School Success" at Waipahu High School on February 18, 2017. Dr. Linda Furuto gave a keynote address: "P-20 Ethnomathematics Student Success Pathways: Navigating our Educational Visions" followed by grade level sessions, a panel, poster sessions, and exhibits. A special thanks to State Team Leader Seanyelle Yagi for hosting an NCSM booth at the exhibits.

CMC Central held the 2017 Central Mathematics Symposium March 10-11, 2017. The leadership session by Peg Cagle on March 10 in San Luis Obispo was about "Taking Action to Build a Better Profession, No Matter Your Title or Job Description". The general sessions on March 11 at Arroyo Grande High School centered around the theme "Beyond Buzzwords - Digging Deeper".

Please let Kathlan know about upcoming events in our region so that she can get them on the NCSM calendar and also start making plans to attend your conferences.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)