The theme of the 2015 NCSM Annual Conference is:
SHINING THE LIGHT ON LEARNING:
A Vision for Mathematics Leaders
Conference Program Strand Descriptions
The five strands to be featured at this exciting and educational NCSM Annual Conference are:
- Leading instruction to leverage the Mathematics Practices for increased achievement - The focus will be on how leaders can help increase student achievement by facilitating teachers' implementation of the mathematical practices in their classrooms.
- Examining the opportunities and challenges of using technology to support teaching and learning mathematics - The focus will be on examples and suggestions of technology uses that successfully support student learning and/or challenges that accompany technology use and how they might be overcome: more than simply how to use the technological tool.
- Advancing formative assessment as an integral tool for understanding student thinking and guiding instruction - This strand will focus on how to use assessment as an integral tool for improved instruction.
- Exploring strategies and tools for mathematics leaders and coaches to support mathematics learning - This strand will focus on successful approaches to help new and veteran leaders increase student learning and understanding.
- Shifting practices to effectively implement the Common Core State Standards: Equity for all learners with focus, rigor, and depth - This strand will include equity topics with a specific interest in the shifts suggested by the Common Core State Standards. Even if your state is not participating in CCSS, there are components of the shifts that are important for improving student learning.