News from the Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Here's hoping you had a relaxing summer and are geared up for the new school year. We have had two very special events for leaders of Western 2 Region during August. The first was the NCSM Leadership Academy that was held at the Sonoma County Office of Education in Santa Rosa, California, on July 31 - August 2. We had well over a hundred attendees who came from as far away as France and Maine, but the majority of the group represented Northern California. I was part of a team of six from Redding, CA, and there were many other teams who came to get help in implementing the Common Core Mathematics Standards and the Standards for Mathematical Practice this fall in their schools.
The other event for leaders happened that same week in McMinnville, Oregon, at Linfield College. The Oregon Mathematics Teachers sponsor this annual Conference for Oregon Math Leaders and the focus this year was implementing the Standards for Mathematical Practice across the grade levels. They had a very large group of attendees also.
If you are looking ahead for leadership opportunities for next summer, the Los Angeles County Mathematics Teachers are hosting another NCSM Leadership Academy in that area. The dates and exact location will be announced soon and I will keep you posted.
Starting this month, we have several conferences planned:
- On September 6 - 8, the TOTOM (Teachers of Teachers of Mathematics) Conference is happening in Ashland, Oregon, at Southern Oregon University. You can contact Irv Lubliner at .
- On October 6 the Mount Lassen Mathematics Council is having their annual conference in Chico, CA, at Chico Christian School campus. Jo Boaler and David Foster are the keynote speakers. Contact Camille Upton at .
- On October 12, the Eastern Oregon Mathematics Conference will be held at Eastern Oregon University in La Grande, OR. Contact Patty Sandoz at for more information.
- On October 18, The Ventura County Math Council holds their mini-conference at the VCOE Conference and Educational Services Center. Contact Vickie Vierra at for more information.
- On October 18 - 20, the Northwest Math Conference sponsored by the Mathematics Teachers' Councils for Oregon, Washington and British Columbia will hold their Annual Conference in Victoria, BC. Contact Lauri Roche at for more information.
- On November 2 - 3, The CMC-South 53rd Annual Conference will be held in Palm Springs, CA. Contact California Mathematics Council at .
- On November 30 - December 2, CMC-North holds their Annual Conference at Asilomar near Monterey, CA. Contact CMC at for more information.
Now if this list doesn't keep you busy this fall, we also have some very good materials on our website to keep you informed and learning. I wish you the best as you continue your work in Mathematics Education. Thank you for all you do for our kids.