News from the Southern 2 Region
Linda Griffith, Southern 2 Regional Director
It has been a busy Fall in Southern Region 2, with many of the state organizations hosting fall meetings.
- The Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics hosted their Fall Forum, " Putting It All Together", October 31-November 1, 2013 at Alabama State University in Montgomery.
- The Tennessee Mathematics Teachers Association held their Annual Fall Conference for September 27-28, 2013 at Memphis University School.
- The Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics hosted their fall meeting, "Catching the Waves of Common Core", at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Jeff Davis Campus in Biloxi on September 20-21, 2013.
- The Center for Mathematics and Science Education at the University of Mississippi hosted a Mathematics Specialist Conference on October 4, 2013.
- The Texas Association of Supervisor of Mathematics hosted their fall meeting on October 21-22, 2013 at the Austin Hilton Airport.
- The Arkansas Council of Teachers of Mathematics served as a co-host for the Arkansas Curriculum Conference, "Preparing the Next Generation", at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock on October 31-November 1, 2013. The Arkansas Association of Mathematics Leaders held a pre-conference for mathematics education leaders on October 30.
There were many opportunities for mathematics teachers and leaders from our region to grow professionally this fall.
The Texas Association of Supervisors of Mathematics will host their next meeting February 20-21, 2014 at the Airport Hilton in Austin. I am excited that I will be attending this meeting on the 21st.
NCSM members in Southern Region 2 are "Jazzed Up" that the NCSM's 46th Annual meeting will be in our region this coming spring. We look forward to hosting our colleagues in New Orleans on April 7-9, 2014. "Ya'll come!"
Also mark you calendars, the NCSM Board has approved Little Rock, AR as a site for an NCSM Leadership Academy this summer. The dates are June 30-July 2, 2014. More information about this will be available soon.
If you are a member of a mathematics education organization in our region that support mathematics education leaders please consider your organization becoming an NCSM affiliate. If you have questions about this process you can contact me.