News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Happy New (School) Year!!!
The new school year or semester is a special time in the life of a mathematics leader. Those you lead return from summer break eager to make a difference in the lives of students. Similarly, you welcome them back eager to make a difference in their lives. The question is, how will you accomplish that this year. Are you rolling out a newly minted vision for exemplary teaching and learning? Are you engaging staffs in meaningful professional learning? Are you focused on strengthening the relationship among the stakeholders in your mathematics community? Whatever, you focus, those you lead look to you for guidance, direction, and inspiration.
Here are a five leadership tips shared from leaders who visited me at the NCSM booth at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics' Annual Conference last month.
- "Clearly communicate your vision and teach stakeholders exactly how they can activate that vision."
- "Find ways to get teachers together more frequently. Gather their ideas and leverage those ideas to create and then share great resources."
- "Don't be afraid to ask for feedback. It is not a sign of weakness. People appreciate it when you model "professional vulnerability." Nobody's perfect."
- "Work hard to get everyone involved. Everyone has something to contribute. Sometimes, they just need to be invited to participate."
- Remember, "It's all about relationships."
As you consider these tips from the field, consider reaching out to those you lead for their advice on how you can help them have a successful school year. I look forward to hearing your success stories. Please share them to me via Twitter @billjbarnes. See you soon!
Upcoming State Conferences, Meetings, and Events: Tis the season of state and regional mathematics conferences. Please share the dates, locations, and other promotional information about your upcoming events to me and I will post them on our regional calendar.
- Maryland Council of Teachers of Math (www.marylandmath.org) - October 16 (Baltimore, MD)
- NCTM Regional Conference, Atlantic City, NJ (www.nctm.org/atlanticcity/) - October 21-23
Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.
- Delaware: Crystal Lancour () and Jamilla Riser ()
- Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Andrew Todd ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: TBA soon
- Washington DC: John Neral ()
- West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly
Stay in Touch:
- Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
- Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.