News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Reflections: The end of the school year is an excellent time to take stock on our impact on the systems we lead, the people we lead, and the students for whom we lead. These deeply personal reflections provide insights for our own professional growth. They serve to inform our actions with and for those we lead. I wanted to take a moment to share the questions that I pose to myself at this time of year. As you read through the list, I invite you to consider your own responses to these questions and I invite you to share your responses with a critical (trusted) friend, colleague, or with your team. One additional challenge, try to frame your accomplishments as a celebration of those you lead. Consider following up with a phone call or email to that person/team to make sure they know how much you appreciate their work.
End of the Year Leadership Reflection Questions
- How has my leadership (actions and decisions) positively impacted our equity and access goals this year?
- How has my leadership (actions and decisions) positively impacted our teaching and learning goals this year?
- What do I wish I had done differently?
- How will I celebrate the accomplishments of our community?
Have a great, and restorative, summer!
NCSM Un-Conference - Reflections
On May 7th, over 40 leaders from Eastern Region 2 gathered for our first NCSM Un-Conference. Attendees kicked off the vent by creating a schedule of sessions focused on their needs and interests. A detailed list of sessions and corresponding session notes can be found by clicking here. The session that generated the most interest was titled, "Leaders Achieving Life Balance - Less Work at Home" Overall, attendees reported that the event was a huge success and there is interest in expanding the model next year. If you are interested in hosting and NCSM Un-Conference in your state next year, just email me () and I'll be happy to help plan and attend the event!
Upcoming State Conferences, Meetings, and Events: Tis the season of state and regional mathematics conferences. Please share the dates, locations, and other promotional information about your upcoming events to me and I will post them on our regional calendar.
- Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics (www.pctm.org/index.html) - August 4-5 (Seven Spring Mountain Resort, PA)
- Maryland Council of Teachers of Math (www.marylandmath.org) - October 22 (Pasadena, MD)
- Associate of Mathematics Teachers in New Jersey - New Cubed Summer Math Conference - June 27 (Iona, NY)
- Delaware Mathematics Coalition Host Dr. Ruth Parker: Teachers and Students Learning Together: Supporting Ownership & Agency in Mathematics Classrooms - June 12
Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.
- Delaware: Renee Parsley () and Jamilla Riser ()
- Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Andrew Todd ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: TBA soon
- Washington DC: TBA soon
- West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly
Stay in Touch:
- Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
- Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.