News from the Western 2 Region
Kathlan Latimer, Western 2 Regional Director
Greetings NCSM Western 2 Region members and friends,
Happy winter! Please welcome Sasha Hammond as the Regional Team Leader for the state of Washington. Sasha is a Math Coordinator with Washington Educational Service District 105. We appreciate her assistance in connecting with our Washington members.
Looking forward to spring and Making Waves with Effective Mathematics Leaders
I am excited that the next annual meeting is in Western Region 2. You can anticipate many opportunities to focus on important issues for leaders in mathematics education and to network with educational professionals from across the country:
- Dr. Luis Cruz, the 2019 keynote speaker, will provide the keynote address, "Recognizing and Overcoming the Barriers to Ensuring ALL Students Learn Mathematics".
- Extend your conference experience. Register for one of two pre-conference workshops on Sunday, March 31, 2019, from 1:00-5:00 pm. The offerings are NCSM Essential Actions for Mathematics Coaching and Practical Leadership: How to Leverage Learning Science to Achieve Equity. If you have already registered, know that you can still add these workshops, if space is available.
- Do plan to attend the Western Region 2 Caucus on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, from 3:30 to 4:15 pm. Network with other members in the Western Region 2.
- Do make plans not only to join us, but to help make the conference a success. Volunteer! Receive a "Making Waves through Effective Mathematics Leadership" T-shirt for your service. Volunteer at the 2019 NCSM Conference in San Diego.
UPCOMING EVENTS IN THE REGION
California Mathematics Council, Northern Section
Online Book Chats, January -March 2019
These will be slow chats on Twitter and through member circles featuring:
- Routines for Reasoning: Fostering the Mathematical Practices in All Students by Grace Kelemanik, Amy Lucenta, and Susan Janssen Creighton
- Beyond Answers: Exploring Mathematical Practices with Young Children by Mike Flynn
For more information: cmc-math.org
California Mathematics Council, Central Section
Annual Math Symposium
"Opening Doors to Our Students' Futures"
March 8-9, 2019
University of California, Merced
For more information, email
LOOKING AHEAD: Summer with NCSM
The NCSM Summer Leadership Academy will be held in Madison, Wisconsin. The theme is Building Leadership: Leveraging Coaching. Dates: July 22-24 2019.
Springtime in San Diego! Let's make some waves. See you there.