News from the Eastern 2 Region
Sue Vohrer, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Thinking about… The Wizard of OZ. Have you ever thought about the Wizard of OZ as a lesson in leadership? Think about the characters in the movie. Which of them seem to exhibit leadership skills? While it might not seem apparent at first, Dorothy is a 21st century leader. After she finds herself in OZ, she analyzes her problem and determines a clear focus on her goal (to go home to Kansas.) As she begins her journey, she works collaboratively with others to attain the goal (scarecrow, tin man, lion, Toto) to reach OZ, and encourages them along the way. Dorothy was not afraid to take risks and ask questions. She did not lead from the front; rather, she walked alongside her team, and did not have all the answers to the problems they encountered. Dorothy's approach to leadership influenced many along the way, and she did so with kindness and humility.
By being a member of NCSM, you have taken on the journey of leadership in math education. This amazing organization has so many resources to assist in making you a 21st Century leader. Our Annual Conference is one of the best ways to support your leadership journey through the outstanding sessions, opportunities to volunteer, networking, and caucuses. If your journey has taken put you on the coaching path, be sure to visit the Coaching Corner. Another outstanding opportunity for leadership is the Summer Leadership Academies and Fall Seminars. And the Marshall Memo is a favorite of mine! Explore the website and you will find many resources that will assist in your math leadership work, including our new Essential Action series.
As you think about your own leadership journey, remember Dorothy and how she encouraged her team and continued to explore ways to support others to achieve goals. Being an NCSM member and using the resources available will help you to use "Dorothy's way" to support those you work with and achieve goals as well!
Don't Miss These Exciting Math Opportunities!
The NCSM Annual Conference, Making Waves with Effective Math Leadership, will be held in San Diego at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina Hotel from April 1-3, 2019. There is still time to register online with onsite registration beginning March 31. Be sure to sign up to volunteer as well. It is a wonderful way to network with colleagues and speakers and feel the energy of a national conference!
Don't forget - our Eastern Region 2 Caucus will be held during the Conference on April 2, from 3:30 - 4:15 in Pacific 24 in the conference hotel. Join your colleagues for networking and discussion.
Below are upcoming events in our region:
- Delaware Mathematics Coalition will host its annual Math Equity Conference on April 13, 2019, from 8:30 - 3:30. Featured speakers include Dr. Francis Su from Harvey Mudd College, Dr. Robert Berry who is the current President of NCTM, and Dr. Mandy Jansen, creator of rough-draft talk.
- The Delaware Council of Math Leaders (DCML) will host their first conference - A Triple Crown Event on May 18! The conference will be a half-day event so there is plenty of time to see the Kentucky Derby.
- The West Virginia Council of Teacher of Mathematics will host their Annual Conference on March 15 and 16 at the Stonewall Resort. Dr. Christopher Danielson will be the keynote speaker to kick off the two-day event.
- Pennsylvania Association of Math Teacher Educators will host its 13th Annual Symposium on May 15-16 at Shippensburg University.
Stay Connected - Your Eastern Region 2 Team Leaders
We are so appreciative of having these dedicated team leaders working in your state! Feel free to contact them (or me!) if you need information or have questions.
- Delaware: Crystal Lancour () and Jamila Riser ()
- Maryland: Ed Nolan (), Andrew Todd (), and Amanda Salvaron ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: Please contact me if interested.
- Washington DC: Michael Barnhart ()
- West Virginia: Cindy Burke ()
Please note that a new Eastern Region 2 Director will be elected this fall. If you are interested in the position, please let me know. Descriptions of all the elected positions may be found there.
Have a wonderful spring,