Information accurate as of 07/20/2012 -- subject to change
Mathematics Leadership at Work:
Moving the Common Core State Standards from Vision to Action
For K-16 mathematics education leaders - teams and individuals
Advanced registration for Leadership Academies is now closed.
June 25-27, 2012
Allegheny Intermediate Unit
475 East Waterfront Drive
Homestead, Pennsylvania 15120
July 31-August 2, 2012
Sonoma County Office of Education
5340 Skylane Boulevard
Santa Rosa, California 95403
The Leadership Academy Will Focus On:
- Implementation of the CCSS in your school, district, or region.
- Using research-informed best practices in teaching and learning, as described by the eight CCSS Mathematical Practices Standards
- Understanding and integrating the CCSS Content Standards including domains, learning trajectories, grade-level and course sequencing, and course design, scope, and sequence
- Using formative assessment cycles for learning including how to develop meaningful assessment cycles using high-quality summative assessments; and discussion sessions regarding the SBAC and the PARCC Assessment Consortia
- Strategies to support specialists and coaches and their work with teachers around the CCSS.
Leadership Academy Features
- 8 hours of daily plenary and grade level breakouts-elementary, middle, and high school
- Rich and engaging content explicitly designed for mathematics education leaders
- Practical suggestions and specific next steps for site work
- Research-based strategies for getting results
- Materials, resources, and strategies to use in your setting
- Networking among leaders from other states and countries
- Continental breakfast and lunch each day of the Academy
Join us for the NCSM Summer Leadership Academy!
|Allegheny Intermediate Unit|
475 E Waterfront Dr
Homestead PA 15120
|CA||Santa Rosa, CA|
Office of Education
5340 Skylane Blvd
Santa Rosa CA 95403
|7/31-8/2, 2012||7/17, 2012|
NCSM academies do fill completely before deadlines, so register soon after registration opens. NCSM will accept registrations after deadlines on a space available basis and with a per person late fee.
Please contact NCSM Office (303-758-9611) to check availability. It is recommended that you not make any travel arrangements prior to determining space availability. Registration is not guaranteed until your payment is received.
Why You Should Attend:
- Because you are a specialist/coach, teacher leader, administrator, coordinator, mentor, director, supervisor, department chair, or someone who influences and supports others in mathematics education
- Because you want to lead your school and district toward student success and the CCSS
Bring a Team!
Teams are especially encouraged to attend, as the Academy provides an extraordinary opportunity to collaborate on site work and identify next steps for goals set for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Teams of teachers and leaders will find the academy especially powerful.
- Team registration rates provide a perfect incentive for teams to attend.
- Every individual will leave inspired, motivated, and prepared for 2012-2013.
- Academy presenters will provide the guidance, time, and tools for teams (and individuals) to work together.
- While every one will leave the academy with a plan tailored to implement change, teams will leave with a common plan they can implement together.
Registration Payment Options
You may register online, by fax, or by mail.
You may pay for registration by check, purchase order, or credit card: MasterCard, Visa, or Discover. You may only use a check or Purchase Order if you are mailing your registration by way of the US Mail. Please note: If registering by purchase order, payment is due one week prior to the academy you plan to attend. NCSM does not accept purchase orders for membership dues.
|Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) PA||by 5/7||5/8 to 6/11||(based on availability)|
|Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) CA||by 5/7||5/8 to 7/17||(based on availability)|
* A team is two or more people
**Registering After Registration Deadlines
NCSM academies do fill completely before deadlines, so register promptly. NCSM will accept registrations on a space available basis.
Please contact NCSM Office (303-758-9611) to check availability. It is recommended that you not make any travel arrangements prior to determining space availability and you secure your registration. Registration is not guaranteed until your payment is received.
You will receive an email confirmation, which will serve as a receipt, if you've included an email address in your profile. Allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Registration becomes effective only when payment is received. If you have not received your registration confirmation within a week of the academy you've registered for, call NCSM Office at (303) 758-9611.
NCSM will refund Academy registration fees following the schedule below:
|$350||if requested by:||5/7||6/12|
|$200||if requested from:||5/8 to 5/29||6/13 to 7/4|
A limited amount of funding is available to assist with registration fees. If interested, please include a one-page request, citing reasons with your registration form. Send both to:
6000 E Evans Ave Ste 3-205
|Denver CO 80222-5423|
NCSM Membership Information
If your NCSM membership expires before the end of the month of the Academy that you want to attend, you must renew in order to register for the Academy at the discounted member rate. You can renew your membership when you register for the Leadership Academy, extending your membership for another year. If registering online, follow the links for membership renewal. If registering by fax or mail, add the membership fee to your payment total.
If you are not an NCSM member, you may join NCSM before registering for the Academy at the discounted member rate. If registering online, follow the links to join NCSM. If registering by fax or mail, add the membership fee to your payment total.
Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Waterfront|
400 West Waterfront Drive
West Homestead, PA 16120
For reservations please call 800-321-2211 and identify yourself as a member from the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics to get the special guest room rate of $149. Reservations must be made by Sunday, May 27, 2012, to receive the discounted rate.
2950 Southwater Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
For reservations you can either call 412-488-8003 and identify yourself as a member of the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics to get the special guest room rate of $149 or click this link to make reservations. Reservations must be made by Monday, June 4, 2012, to receive the discounted rate.
Santa Rosa CA|
Hilton Sonoma Wine Country|
3555 Round Barn Blvd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
For reservations please call 800-445-8667, reference the date and group name, National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, to receive the special guest room rate of $109. You can all call the hotel direct at 707-569-5538 to make reservations. Reservations must be made by Friday, July 6, 2012 to receive the discounted rate.
For NCSM Membership or Academy Registration Information and Questions
6000 E Evans Ave Ste 3-205
|Denver CO 80222-5423|
|Phone||(303) 758-9611 (not a TTY number)|
For Housing Information and Questions
Contact your hotel directly.
For Academy Content Information and Questions
Tim Kanold, NCSM Past President:
For All Other Matters
Suzanne Mitchell, NCSM President:
Mathematics Leadership At Work: Moving the CCSS Standards for Mathematical Practice from Vision to Action
NCSM is now accepting invitations to host our 2013 three-day NCSM Leadership Academy.
Why Host an NCSM Leadership Academy?
- To bring an NCSM national professional development experience to large numbers of mathematics education leaders in your district and surrounding area. (Minimize travel costs!)
- To engage all members of your local leadership team in a shared professional learning and planning experience.
- To negotiate dates that best suit your need (between June 10 and August 16, 2013).
Among the Responsibilities of the Host
- Guarantee 30 paid attendees with paid registrations completed by May 15, 2013.
- Provide meeting space for at least 100 attendees.
- Work with NCSM to promote and guarantee 100 Academy attendees.
- Provide 3 hotel recommendations and logistical contacts to NCSM.
If you are interested in hosting a 2013 NCSM Leadership Academy, read General Information, download a proposal form, and submit a proposal to us. Proposals are due by June 30, 2012. Please email your proposal to Suzanne Mitchell, NCSM President, at .
If you have any questions about hosting an NCSM Leadership Academy in your location, contact Suzanne Mitchell, NCSM President at or (501) 690-1518.
NCSM Federal Tax ID: 39-1556438