2014 NCSM Annual Conference
Invitation to Join Us
On behalf of the NCSM Board and the New Orleans Conference Committee, we invite you to become Jazzed up about your leadership for mathematics and join us at our Annual Conference, April 7-9, 2014.
As the theme - JAZZED UP MATHEMATICS LEADERSHIP: Building Systems to Trumpet Achievement"- suggests, our 46th NCSM Annual Conference is designed to provide you with a rich professional development experience that will jazz up your personal leadership needs. It features an exciting mix of over 300 sessions by a variety of speakers. A major focus of this year's conference is the implementation of the Common Core State Standards and issues surrounding assessment with technology infused in the work. A second major focus is the importance of teacher leaders, mathematics coaches, and elementary mathematics specialists, and the work they do to support and encourage teachers for education reform. In support of these areas of focus, there will be sessions to launch the new NCSM - It's TIME: Leadership Framework as a follow-up to the popular NCSM PRIME Leadership Framework.
Conference content strands include:
- Teacher Evaluation and Teacher Quality: Approaches and tools that support sustained growth;
- Formative Assessment Driving Instruction: Use of evidence of student thinking to inform practice and student self-analysis;
- STEM and Career/College Readiness: Support for STEM-related courses and preparation for the future of today's learners;
- Teaching and Learning in the Era of the Common Core State Standards and Assessments: Leveraging the CCSS to make adjustments in lesson planning and instruction to improve student learning and thinking skills;
- Understanding and Teaching CCSS Standards Progressions: Make sense of learning progressions and implications for college/university placement and coursework.
These strands address the key challenges confronting us as mathematics education leaders. Sessions on interpreting and implementing the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics are woven into each of these major strands.
NCSM is continuing its collaboration with the NCTM Research Advisory Committee to provide joint sessions of interest to both practitioners and researchers. Selected sessions are open to registered attendees at both the NCSM Annual Conference and the NCTM Research Pre-session on Wednesday at no additional charge.
As mathematics education leaders, it is our responsibility to continuously work to improve our own professional practice so that we can better support and lead others. Our 46th NCSM Annual Conference is designed to provide a shared learning and leading experience that will motivate, educate, and "recharge" each of us as mathematics leaders as we ensure that the adults we lead are guiding our students on the way to success in mathematics. The Annual Conference also provides a unique opportunity to network with national and international colleagues around issues of mathematics education leadership.
We hope you will join us for another wonderful NCSM Annual Conference!
Recruitment & Management Chair
Volunteer Local Arrangements Chair