As an organization, Delaware Mathematics Coalition members recognize the tremendous value of professional learning and professional development in leveraging school change. DMC stakeholders communicate their commitment to their vision and mission through their ongoing engagement, support, and high participation in DMC-sponsored projects, conferences, and local mathematics leadership programs. Established more than a decade ago, the Coalition's work is grounded in research and embodies the following guiding principles:
- Students learn mathematics by thinking hard (grappling) and through interaction.
- Student sense-making should be at the core of all math instruction.
- Fluency evolves over time as conceptual understanding is strengthened and deepened.
- Making connections is an essential aspect of student learning.
- All students can come to view themselves as competent and confident doers of mathematics.
- For communities of educators to shift their practice in meaningful ways, they must have ongoing opportunities to learn mathematics in the ways they are expected to teach mathematics
The Delaware Mathematics Coalition envisions classrooms in which confident and competent problem solvers flourish; all students are productively engaged in challenging mathematics instruction, and all teachers are supported in their efforts to become more knowledgeable and reflective practitioners. As a result of our work, Delaware teachers will be better able to promote the instructional practices described in the Common Core State Standards and to communicate high standards and expectations for students to routinely:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them;
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively;
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others;
- Model with mathematics;
- Use appropriate tools strategically;
- Attend to precision;
- Look for and make use of structure; and
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
The Coalition is committed to the development of robust and relevant programs that support the broad group of stakeholders in the state. As an alliance of public and charter school districts, higher education institutions, business entities, and policy makers, we collectively and continually strive to study, implement, and refine our programs and practices so that every Delaware student graduates from high school with the knowledge, understanding, and application of skills needed to be college and career ready.
The mission of the Delaware Mathematics Coalition is to identify, endorse, and design high quality synergistic professional learning opportunities and experiences that support the actualization of research-based norms for teaching and learning mathematics. As an organization, the Coalition advocates and supports at the state and district levels for the implementation of these practices in every classroom so that all students gain the mathematics proficiency necessary to graduate having successfully completed a rigorous, meaningful twenty-first century education that prepares them for careers, college, and citizenship.
Join the DMC Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/1207447166013655/?pnref=story