NCSM Fellowship Information
NCSM’s mission is to, “equip and empower a diverse education community to engage in leadership that supports, sustains, and inspires high quality mathematics teaching and learning every day for each and every learner.” To support meeting our vision, NCSM has created a NCSM Fellowship Program.
NCSM Fellows will be selected from an application process – anyone who attends the Summer Leadership Academy can apply. NCSM fellows will be assigned a mentor to:.
- Develop networking and communication opportunities that connect the mathematics education community, as well as the broader education community;
- Equip leaders with the tools to create and sustain systems that fully align with the vision of mathematics and mathematics instruction promoted by NCSM;
- Equip leaders with the understanding, knowledge, and skills to continue their own personal growth, support emerging leaders, and further develop excellence in mathematics teaching.
NCSM fellows will participate in the following:
- a half-day in-person leadership training workshop the day before the conference, Sunday, September 25, 2023 (1:00- 5:00). During the workshop, participants will learn from experienced leaders through presentations and group discussions on topics that will expand their vision of what leadership means, teach them essential leadership skills, and increase their motivation to make a difference as a leader.
- five bi-monthly virtual group meetings (2 hours) in which all the Fellows, the NCSM fellow chair, and the mentors will discuss an aspect of leadership. These virtual group meetings will occur in November, January, March, May, and July.
- five bi-monthly virtual meetings between the Fellow and their Mentor. The Mentors are encouraged to share their own leadership experiences and offer guidance to the Fellow on their future as a leader and on their leadership. These virtual one-on-one meetings will occur In October, December, February, April and June.
- A half-day celebration in person at the following annual conference (with the incoming fellows)
- Outgoing Fellows present 1 session on the experience and their next steps at the next annual conference
NCSM fellows will receive complimentary conference registration for two consecutive conferences, the year they are accepted and the following year. They will also receive all four of the Essential Action Series as resources for the fellowship experience.