Deadline for Submission for the 2017 Grant is December 1, 2016.
Iris Carl Travel Grant for NCSM Members to Attend NCSM Annual Conference
Iris M. Carl
NCSM honors Iris Carl, NCSM Past President, Glenn Gilbert Awardee, and International Leader, through the NCSM Iris Carl Travel Grant. This grant gives support to mathematics educators and future leaders in mathematics education to attend an NCSM Annual Conference, thus supporting the NCSM vision of a cadre of well trained, broadly informed and perceptive leaders of mathematics education at all levels. NCSM cares greatly about young members and wants them to become the very best leaders they can be.
See past recipients and their reports about their NCSM conference experience.
Iris Carl Travel Grant Application and Grant Process
2015-2017 Awards Chair
The NCSM Awards Chair, Denise Brady will manage the process.
Download and Submit Forms
Applications for the Iris Carl Travel Grant are due December 1, 2016.
Nominations can be sent to Denise Brady, the NCSM Awards Chair:
NCSM Awards Chair
8039 Woodstone Drive
Grand Blanc, MI 48439
Grant Selection Process
The Awards Chair and Awards Committee will review the applications and select the Iris Carl grantees. Applicants are scored based on the following:
- A brief typed proposal (two pages maximum) that includes the following:
- Evidence of the applicant's leadership role in mathematics education
- An explanation of what the applicant expects to gain from attending this conference
- An explanation of how the applicant's attendance will benefit others in mathematics education in her/his local area
- An explanation of the applicant's need for supporting funds
- A letter of support that describes the applicant's leadership in mathematics education.
Those receiving grants will be notified by January 15, the year of the NCSM Annual Conference. Grantees will be introduced at the NCSM Annual Conference.
An Iris Carl Travel Grant applicant:
- Was a member of NCSM by or on September 1, 2016.
- Has not been able to attend an NCSM Annual Conference for the past three years.
- Serves in a leadership role in mathematics education in her/his school, district, state, province, or some other capacity.
Number of Grants to be Given
There will be a maximum of three grants available for the 2017 NCSM Annual Conference.