NCSM honors Iris Carl, NCSM Past President, Glenn Gilbert Awardee, and International Leader, through the NCSM Iris Carl Travel Grant. This grant gives support to mathematics educators and future leaders in mathematics education to attend an NCSM Annual Conference, thus supporting the NCSM vision of a cadre of well trained, broadly informed and perceptive leaders of mathematics education at all levels. NCSM cares greatly about young members and wants them to become the very best leaders they can be.
A grant of a maximum of $1200 will be awarded to the recipient. The Iris Carl Grant may be used for transportation, lodging (maximum of three nights), and meals (excluding those covered by conference registration) as necessary for conference attendance. The grant also includes a waiver for registration for the NCSM Annual Conference. Those receiving grants will be required to submit a report of their conference experience and a completed funds reimbursement form. The NCSM Awards Chair will provide forms and instructions directly to grant recipients.
See past recipients and their reports about their NCSM conference experience.
2019-2021 Awards Chair
The NCSM Awards Chair, Samantha Wuttig will manage the process.
Application deadline for the 2021 NCSM Annual Conference is June 1, 2021.
Grantees will be notified by January 31.
Applications are now closed for 2020.
Grant Selection Process
The Awards Chair and Awards Committee will review the applications and select the Iris Carl grantees. Applicants are scored based on the following:
- A brief typed proposal (two pages maximum) that includes the following:
- Evidence of the applicant’s leadership role in mathematics education
- An explanation of what the applicant expects to gain from attending this conference
- An explanation of how the applicant’s attendance will benefit others in mathematics education in her/his local area
- An explanation of the applicant’s need for supporting funds
- A letter of support that describes the applicant’s leadership in mathematics education.
Those receiving grants will be notified by January 31. Grantees will be introduced at the 2021 NCSM Bold Leadership Summit.
An Iris Carl Travel Grant applicant:
- Was a member of NCSM by October 1, 2020.
- Has not been able to attend an NCSM Annual Conference for the past three years.
- Serves in a leadership role in mathematics education in her/his school, district, state, province, or some other capacity.
Number of Grants to be Given
There will be a maximum of three grants available for the 2021 NCSM Bold Leadership Summit.