The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State (AMTNYS) was founded in 1951 and currently has about 2,100 members statewide. AMTNYS, its Affiliate Organizations, and the New York State Education Department, represents a driving force in the area of mathematics education in New York State.
The purpose of AMTNYS is:
- To ensure better coordination of all activities of mathematics groups in the state.
- To afford a medium of exchange views regarding the teaching of mathematics
- To further the cooperative study of problems relating to the teaching of mathematics at all four levels,elementary, junior high, senior high and college.
- To encourage active interest in mathematics and mathematics education.
- To serve as liaison between the State Education Department and the field.