2013 NCSM Summer Leadership Academy
Information accurate as of 03/17/2013 -- subject to change
Mathematics Leadership at Work:
Formative Assessment in Support of the Common Core State Standards and Assessment
For K-16 mathematics education leaders - teams and individuals
July 23-25, 2013
Los Angeles Area-Monrovia, CA
July 29-31, 2013
The 2013 NCSM Summer Leadership Academy will focus on formative assessment strategies and resources for the classroom and professional learning.
Participating mathematics leaders and their teachers will learn more about:
- formative assessment as a powerful instructional tool,
- resources that mathematics education leaders and teachers can use to help their systems grow in understanding and use of formative assessment strategies, and
- how to use formative assessment to support implementation and prepare for assessment of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
In particular, participants can expect to learn about key formative assessment practices and receive related instructional and professional learning resources including:
- posing worthwhile assessment questions,
- organizing productive faculty discourse around formative assessment results,
- strategies and resources to include students in the evaluation of work products, and
- using descriptive feedback for students.
Leadership Academy Features
- 8 hours of daily plenary and grade level breakouts-elementary, middle, and high school
- Rich and engaging content explicitly designed for mathematics education leaders
- Practical suggestions and specific next steps for site work
- Research-based strategies for getting results
- Materials, resources, and strategies to use in your setting
- Networking among leaders from other states and countries
- Continental breakfast and lunch each day of the Academy
Join us for the NCSM Summer Leadership Academy!
|CA||Los Angeles Area Monrovia, CA||TBD||6/21, 2013|
|OH||Columbus, OH||TBD||7/29-7/31, 2013||6/21, 2013|
NCSM academies do fill completely before deadlines, so register soon after registration opens. NCSM will accept registrations after deadlines on a space available basis and with a per person late fee.
Please contact NCSM Office (303-758-9611) to check availability. It is recommended that you not make any travel arrangements prior to determining space availability. Registration is not guaranteed until your payment is received.
Why You Should Attend:
- Because you are a specialist/coach, teacher leader, administrator, coordinator, mentor, director, supervisor, department chair, or someone who influences and supports others in mathematics education
- Because you want to lead your school and district toward student success and the CCSS
Bring a Team!
Teams are especially encouraged to attend, as the Academy provides an extraordinary opportunity to collaborate on site work and identify next steps for goals set for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Teams of teachers and leaders will find the academy especially powerful.
- Team registration rates provide a perfect incentive for teams to attend.
- Every individual will leave inspired, motivated, and prepared for 2013-2014.
- Academy presenters will provide the guidance, time, and tools for teams (and individuals) to work together.
- While every one will leave the academy with a plan tailored to implement change, teams will leave with a common plan they can implement together.
Registration Payment Options
You may register online, by fax, or by mail.
You may pay for registration by check, purchase order, or credit card: MasterCard, Visa, or Discover. You may only use a check or Purchase Order if you are mailing your registration by way of the US Mail. Please note: If registering by purchase order, payment is due one week prior to the academy you plan to attend. NCSM does not accept purchase orders for membership dues.
|Los Angeles Area- Monrovia, CA||by 5/6||5/7 to 6/21||(based on availability)|
|Columbus, OH||by 5/6||5/7 to 6/21||(based on availability)|
* A team is two or more people
**Registering After Registration Deadlines
NCSM academies do fill completely before deadlines, so register promptly. NCSM will accept registrations on a space available basis.
Please contact NCSM Office (303-758-9611) to check availability. It is recommended that you not make any travel arrangements prior to determining space availability and you secure your registration. Registration is not guaranteed until your payment is received.
You will receive an email confirmation, which will serve as a receipt, if you've included an email address in your profile. Allow 2-3 weeks for processing. Registration becomes effective only when payment is received. If you have not received your registration confirmation within a week of the academy you've registered for, call NCSM Office at (303) 758-9611.
NCSM will refund Academy registration fees following the schedule below:
|Refund||Los Angeles Area-Monrovia, CA||Columbus, OH|
|$350||if requested by:||5/6||5/6|
|$200||if requested from:||5/7 to 7/9||5/7 to 7/15|
A limited amount of funding is available to assist with registration fees. If interested, please include a one-page request, citing reasons with your registration form. Send both to:
6000 E Evans Ave Ste 3-205
|Denver CO 80222-5423|
NCSM Membership Information
If your NCSM membership expires before the end of the month of the Academy that you want to attend, you must renew in order to register for the Academy at the discounted member rate. You can renew your membership when you register for the Leadership Academy, extending your membership for another year. If registering online, follow the links for membership renewal. If registering by fax or mail, add the membership fee to your payment total.
If you are not an NCSM member, you may join NCSM before registering for the Academy at the discounted member rate. If registering online, follow the links to join NCSM. If registering by fax or mail, add the membership fee to your payment total.
Housing information will be posted here as it becomes available.
For NCSM Membership or Academy Registration Information and Questions
6000 E Evans Ave Ste 3-205
|Denver CO 80222-5423|
|Phone||(303) 758-9611 (not a TTY number)|
Mathematics Leadership At Work: Moving the CCSS Standards for Mathematical Practice from Vision to Action
NCSM is now accepting invitations to host our 2014 three-day NCSM Leadership Academy.
Why Host an NCSM Leadership Academy?
- To bring an NCSM national professional development experience to large numbers of mathematics education leaders in your district and surrounding area. (Minimize travel costs!)
- To engage all members of your local leadership team in a shared professional learning and planning experience.
- To negotiate dates that best suit your need (between June 9 and August 15, 2014).
Among the Responsibilities of the Host
- Guarantee 45 paid attendees with paid registrations completed by May 15, 2014.
- Provide meeting space for at least 120 attendees.
- Work with NCSM to promote and guarantee 100 Academy attendees.
- Provide 3 hotel recommendations and logistical contacts to NCSM.
If you are interested in hosting a 2014 NCSM Leadership Academy, read General Information, download a proposal form, and submit a proposal to us. Proposals are due by June 30, 2013. Please email your proposal to Dorothy Shadrick, NCSM Administrative Manager, at or (303) 758-9611.
NCSM Federal Tax ID: 39-1556438