56th Annual Conference
56th Annual NCSM Celebration Annual Conference
September 23-25, 2024 – Chicago, Illinois
NCSM celebrates its 56th Annual Conference, continuing our dedication to the life-long learning of bold mathematics education leaders. NCSM is committed to supporting leaders’ work in inspiring high-quality mathematics teaching and learning every day for each and every learner
Join us in Chicago, Illinois, a city filled with rich histories of innovation and resilience, as we focus on Breaking Barriers with Bold Mathematics Leadership. Conference sessions will focus on Disrupting the Status Quo, Overcoming Challenges, Eliminating Structural Cultural and/or Instructional Barriers, and Breaking Through: Coaching To Support Change.
- Disrupting the Status Quo: Bold mathematics leaders challenge long-standing practices or beliefs that are not aligned with research and best practices for teaching and learning. Sessions in this strand will focus on ways that leaders have disrupted the status quo, including:
- Applying culturally relevant leadership practices to empower, design, monitor, and advocate for culturally relevant practices
- Implementing practices that have led to greater student outcomes and/or teacher growth
- Engaging stakeholders in the process to support equitable mathematics instruction
- Overcoming Challenges: Bold mathematics leaders face many challenges as they support a vision for effective mathematics instruction. Sessions in this strand will focus on overcoming challenges at the classroom, school/institution, and/or district level, including:
- Ensuring each teacher has a deep understanding of mathematics standards, processes and assessment practices to ensure equitable student outcomes
- Creating innovative ways to support mathematics teachers as schools face a growing teacher shortage
- Developing plans of action to address gaps, inequities, or areas of need identified through thoughtful data analysis
- Eliminating Structural, Cultural, and/or Instructional Barriers: Bold mathematics leaders support educational equity and actively work to eliminate barriers for student access and success. Sessions in this strand will focus on actions to eliminate barriers, including:
- Ensuring each and every student has access to grade level content and intensification based on evidence of student learning
- Addressing unproductive beliefs that impact the quality of instruction students receive
- Addressing policies, norms, and practices that support inequities at the classroom, school, or system level
- Breaking Through: Coaching to Support Change: Bold mathematics leaders leverage coaching as a vehicle for change. Sessions in this strand will focus on the coach’s role in supporting all aspects of the teaching and learning of mathematics, including:
- Supporting mathematics teachers in redesigning classroom instruction which supports all learners
- Building a coaching culture of reflection, refinement, and action focused on the continuous improvement in mathematical learning for teachers and their students
- Applying research-informed coaching practices to enhance teaching practices
Call for Speakers
56th Annual NCSM Conference
September 23-25, 2024
We invite proposals that focus on the four strands Disrupting the Status Quo, Overcoming Challenges, Eliminating Structural Cultural and/or Instructional Barriers, and Breaking Through: Coaching To Support Change for the 2024 NCSM Annual Conference.
- October 29, 2023: The Proposal System opens October 29, 2023!
- December 1, 2023: Proposal Submission site closes at midnight PDT.
- February 5, 2024: Lead presenters will be notified by this date about the status of each proposal.
- March 5, 2024: Deadline for lead presenters to confirm details for accepted sessions.
Grace Anne McKay, Conference Coordinator, 2023-2025
Jenny Novak, Conference Chair, 2023-2024
October 13-15, 2025 – Atlanta, Georgia
October 26-28, 2026- Denver, Colorado